Peanut butter is a pantry staple for most folks. If you have kids, chances are you have a few jars stashed in the cupboard. What many people don't know is that the average jar of name-brand peanut butter contains loads of dangerous hydrogenated fats, sodium and sugar.
The following recipe is developed using fresh, high-oleic extra virgin olive. When the right olive oil is used for this recipe, its' flavor takes a back seat to the rich flavor of roasted peanuts. You will be hard pressed to detect it and your heart will thank you for the change.
- 2 Cups roasted, unsalted peanuts
- 1/2 tsp. salt (optional)
- 1 Tbs. granulated sugar(optional)
- 1/4 cup Liquid Gold High Polyphenol Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Robust)
Makes 1 1/2 cups natural peanut butter
- Place the peanuts in the jar of your blender.
- Add the salt and sugar if using. Pour the olive oil over the peanuts and wait 30 seconds until the oil flows to the bottom of the jar.
- Turn the blender on high. Process until the desired level of creaminess or up to two minutes for super creamy peanut butter.
- It may be necessary to turn off the blender a few times and scrape down the sides of the blender jar.
- Store tightly covered in the refrigerator for up to 6 weeks.